Monday, June 21, 2010

The Nower Family

Last week I wrote what I know about Paul Nower and included a picture of him.  Over the weekend, my mother commented to my father and me that Paul really didn't resemble his sister, my great-grandmother, Myrtle, at all.  Looking back through all the entries of this blog, I realized that I have never posted the great photo I have of Paul's whole family.  The picture isn't dated and its actually a copy of the original, but looking at the dates of birth for each of the children, I am guessing that it was taken sometime in the 1890's.

The family posed for their picture in front of their home in Dover, Kentucky.  They were, what I suppose we would call, an upper middle class family in their small town.  During this time, Samuel was a constable in Dover.  His granddaughter, Frances, told me the story of how her mother, Ella Myrtle, was raised with affluence and even had a nanny who cared for her needs.  She said that Samuel was a banker, although, as of yet, I haven't found any evidence of that occupation for him.  I think the photograph is evidence of the Nower family's economic standing in Dover.  Everyone looks well dressed.  Samuel has a visible watch chain and the table looks like it is well made with, maybe, a marble top.



Beginning on the left in the front is Paul standing next to his father, Samuel Jackson Nower.  Mother, Phoebe Jane Judd, is seated beside her only daughter, Ella Myrtle.  Myrtle, as she was known, was born in Dover in 1884.  In the back, on the left, is Ernest William, who was born in Illinois in 1887.  Finally, there is Clarence Rigdon.  He was born in 1880.  A son, Samuel Judd, was born in 1888, but lived only five months.  

No comments: